Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It was a nightmare allright...

But I did manage to get it running. I had run this command to get all the debs in my cache before upgrading the system, as my internet connection is quite slow. (But its free at night)
  apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade 


I checked on the Ubuntu wiki page, and it mentioned that using apt-get is not recommended. So I used the graphical interface, as mentioned. Unfortunately, I got some error, that I didn't bother noting, and the installer quit. The graphical interface gave the same error again, and the only way to fix it would be apt-get -f install

So I chucked the graphical interface, and went back to the CLI. After a whole day of forcing (apt-get -f install) and dpkg-ing (some things went so bad, they had to be done manually), I finally managed to get the system up.

Today, I see that Upstart hasn't been installed, inspite of doing apt-get dist-upgrade twice. I had forgotten to install Ubuntu-minimal...geez...

So now I'm going to reboot my system, and hope that it boots properly, and faster!! :) Wish me luck...

No comments: