Ubuntu released it's latest version 6.06 (Dapper Drake) a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to upgrade. I was using the Breezy Badger release. I had to do some really insane stuff to upgrade. This is primarily because I have a crappy internet connection, and I can download large files only at night (10:00pm to 8:00am). Also, my computer turns off automatically at 7:50am, I have set this as a cron job.
Note: This is not intended to be a guide to upgrade to Dapper. Please refer to the Ubuntu wiki page for information on how to upgrade.
So here's what I did, step by step:
1) I downloaded the dapper CD. (took 2 nights, on my 128kbps connection)
2) I realized that this is the wrong CD, and the "alternate" CD is needed to upgrade from breezy to dapper. The one I downloaded was for a fresh install only.
3) Downloaded the "alternate" CD. (took another 2 nights)
4) Installed the ubuntu-desktop metapackage, had to remove firefox and gaim that I had installed myself, not from the repository. (Used kopete and mozilla in the meantime).
5) CD burning issues cropped in, maybe the DVD lens has dust, or my CDs are bad. :(
6) Mounted the iso directly, using the command "mount -o loop /mnt/ranjan/dapper/whatever-alternate-i386.iso /cdrom"
7) Changed the repository to "dapper" and added the CD to the repository.
8) Tried to run "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", but it said that another 740MB of packages need to be downloaded. This is a pain in the ass. Will take another 2 nights.
9) I used the option "sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgade" to download the packages at night, i didn't want the upgrade to take place while I'm asleep.
10) Now I realized that some packages are going to be REMOVED, this incudes KDE, that I need. Can't let this happen, can I?
11) Found help in the ubuntu chatroom, someone told me I need to install the kubuntu-desktop metapackage as well, since I'm using KDE.
12) I must change the repo back to breezy, and I'm afraid I might lose all the data that I downloaded in 2 nights, so I took a backup. "cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.* /mnt/c/apt-cache"
13) changed back to breezy, and apt-get updated and apt-get cleaned.
14) sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and got this error:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kubuntu-desktop: Depends: akode but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
15) Decided to install the "akode" package manually. "sudo apt-get install akode"
The following packages will be REMOVED:
juk kdeaccessibility kdemultimedia kttsd libakode2 libarts1-akode
I decided to proceed anyway. Then Went to pee and then drank some cold water.
Came back, and process went smoothly.
16) sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.
17) KDM was kind enough to ask me which login manager I want to use, and I selected GDM. This happened while "configuring packages" after apt-get.
18) Changed /etc/apt/sources.list back to dapper.
19) sudo apt-get clean
20) cp /mnt/c/apt-cache/* /var/cache/apt/archives
21) sudo apt-get update
22) had to add cdrom again
23) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
24) had a look at the packages removed, they are in the "installed" list, so no problem
25) closing all programs and proceeding. 60 MB more need to be downloaded, using --download-only option and going to sleep.
26) Woke up this morning, all downloads were complete. Did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and got an infinite loop of errors. Now doing sudo apt-get update to correct the problem. I can only hope it will be solved, as the error seems to be similar to the one when apt-get update fails.
27) Process started (apt-get dist-upgrade) :D .I hope I don't run out of disk space (only 1.4GB free) :-P
28) Dist-upgrade suddenly stopped in the middle, and gave me this error:
Errors were encountered while processing:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
29) Anyway, I did "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" again, but some problem about something depending on libsdl-gfx1.2-4, so installing that mannually
"sudo apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-4"
Then it started installing/setting up a whole load of stuff :-S (possibly continuing the dist-upgrade?)
30) That got over after a long time. Then i did "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" yet again. And again, got the artiwiz-cursor error :(
31) I decided to remove the artwiz-cursor deb file from the cache, maybe it got corrupt somehow.
32) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade again, 8KB need to be downloaded, fine.
Same error again. This is sick, saw the description of this horrid artwiz-cursor. OK, its just a freakin Ascii X mouse cursor font, I got rid of it.
33) Again, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. And Finally no more artwiz shit.
34) Finally, its over :) Checked if there are any broken packages. No broken packages, now rebooting.
35) X server refused to start, thanks to artwiz being uninstalled. Now I had to boot into windows to use the net to find out what I could do about it. A bug report page told me that installing or reconfiguring "xcursor-themes" package may do the trick. And yes, "dpkg-reconfigure xcursor-themes" solved the problem. And then I could install artwiz-cursors.
During this process, however, whenever I switched to a "blank" terminal (say, CTRL+ALT+F10), the system would freeze. No keyboard response, nothing at all. Had to press the reset button. And had to run fsck every time, and loads of errors were found on /home. I wonder how many files became corrupt in the process :'(
36) Reboot again, and HURRAY, DAPPER IS WORKING!!