Friday, June 23, 2006

Firestarter and BORGChat

I use a LAN chat client called BORGChat. Its a very good piece of work. Although its a windows program, I run it in linux with WINE.

Getting BorgChat to work through firestarter was a bit of a problem, but I managed to figure it out. First, I found out which ports borgchat uses. This can be done in two ways:
1) Open BorgChat, go to "Options > Connections" and it will show you the post
2) Disable the firewall, run BorgChat. now open a terminal, and type sudo lsof -Pni . Now look for Borgchat and Wine. You will find the ports on which they are listening.

Once you know the ports, you have to open these ports in Firestarter. I allowed only Local users to access, by using 10.10.19.152/255.255.255.128 (ip-address/subnet-mask) in the "allowed" section.

But borg was still not working. Then, I went to "Options > Connections" in BorgChat again, and selected the method IP multicast instead of UDP broadcast. And then I told my friend on LAN to do the same. Borgchat then started running normally. I can even transfer files.

The obvious drawback of this method is that you'll have to tell all people on the LAN to use IP Multicast. I have only one friend on LAN, whom I chat with, so it was not a problem for me.

If, by chance, Borg is still not working for you, then you may need to follow the steps in my previous post (Firestarter and Samba).

LiNuX RuLZ!!

No comments: